Google

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

As long as I can remember the idea that one of the possible ways humanity could destroy itself was through overpopulation. Remember the Sci-Fi classic Soylent Green? Well, it appears now that some serious people are recognizing that humanity is now being threatened by depopulation, rather than overpopulation. I remember first reading about this possibility from Ben Wattenberg, who has written several books on the subject, including Fewer and The Birth Dearth. While Wattenberg took a lot of heat when he first began proposing his theory about population decline more than ten years ago, the numbers seem more and more to bear out his position.

Of course, if we would just cut down on our consumption of red meat, more of us might live longer. Since death awaits me no matter what I do, I think I will continue to enjoy my steaks and burgers.

A Chinese government official is now calling for the dollar to be replaced as the world's reserve currency. I am calling for the replacement of the government of China with one more representative of it's people.

Mort Zuckerman says we are wasting our time trying to talk to the people who run Iran. I agree.

Richard Cohen says it continues to be business as usual up on Capitol Hill. Why anyone expected anything different I just cannot understand.

Christopher Buckley bemoans the lack of seriousness in Washington. Why anyone expected anything different I just cannot understand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home