Google

Friday, November 17, 2006

RADIO DAZE

My old employer, Clear Channel, has been sold to a Boston-based investment group. That will take the company private, and will also result in a sell-off of TV stations and small market radio stations. What this will mean for the industry, I cannot say. The bottom line attitude of the last 15 years or so, as well as a host of other factors, has radically altered the industry, driving it away from any vestige of community service. I am not at all sure that it can be revived, especially in small markets.

Speaking of radio, WRKO has fired their entire news staff. Some very good people are now available, including my former colleagues Listo Fisher, Marga Besette and Paul Tuthill (I've known Rod Fritz and Deb Daigle over the years, as well, and they are no slouches).

It can be a crazy, unforgiving business, but I still haven't figured out how to do anything else, so I guess I am stuck with it (at least until I grow up).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home