Google

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

DIVIDED AMERICA

What I hoped would not happen apparently is happening. While I was depressed by the high turnout (which I hate to say, but there it is), which seemed to bode ill for Bush, and the exit poll results that also seemed to indicate a Bush defeat, I am now even more depressed about what I believe is a nightmare scenario. The winner will take this election by such a narrow margin that there will be no hope of uniting the country. The only hope I can hold onto at the moment is that the winner will take both the popular and electoral vote, and the margins in the close states will be such that lawsuits and recounts will not prevent the winner from declaring victory and, more importantly, the loser accepting defeat. Let's hope the man on the short end of the stick will address his fellow Americans as a statesman.

I will resume blogging once we know who has won. That may be later tonight, or tomorrow morning, or next week (if it's next week I'll do my normal review of the news).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home